[MPlayer-users] Dealing with dropped packets

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Wed Aug 4 18:13:14 CEST 2004

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:13:39 -0500 "Chhaya, Harshal" wrote:
> >
> > Could it be that the wireless network is dropping some packets
> > and mplayer is working hard to maintain the audio-video
> > synchronization?
>
> Not very likely.
>
> If that was the case, -mc 0 would get rid of that behavior.  You might
> also want to try -mc with low and high values, like 0.1 and 10.
> However, that's probably not the problem.

Thanks for your response.

-mc 0, -mc 0.1, -mc 1 and -mc 10 all had the same problems as before.

> Chances are, you just have buggy soundcard drivers, as the
> "Your System is too Slow..." message tells you.  Try -ao sdl.

I re-built mplayer with "--enable-sdl" but during the "./configure"
step,
I saw:
Checking for SDL ... no

As expected, the new build does not have SDL support.

C:\mplayer> mplayer -ao help
MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.1 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville 796.9 MHz
(Family: 6, St
epping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Available audio output drivers:
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES audio output
        win32   Windows waveOut audio output
        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
        null    Null audio output
        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
        plugin  Plugin audio output

How do I enable sdl support under WinXP?

I tried '-ao win32' but see the same problem (slow video followed by
the 'system is too slow' message followed in a second or so by the
'too many video packets in the buffer' message followed by the
sound cutting out which makes the video play much better).

This may be irrelevant to my problem but I expected '-ao null'
to act like '-nosound' but instead it acted like there was a
real audio output i.e. the video stuttered and mplayer showed
me the error messages.

The sound card is integrated with the motherboard and I checked that
I have the latest drivers.

Is using SDL for audio-out is a possible solution, how do I enable
it?

Thanks again for your help.

- Harshal