[MPlayer-users] Extracting image from a movie

Piszcz, Justin Michael justin.piszcz at mitretek.org
Wed Aug 4 21:12:43 CEST 2004

Yeah, the easiest way:

% mplayer -vo x11 file.mpg

.. scroll to the part you want to cap..

Use gimp, take a pic of the window.

Voila.

-----Original Message-----
From: mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of The Wanderer
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 1:29 PM
To: MPlayer usage questions, features, bugreports
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Extracting image from a movie

Home wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a file movie.avi
> Can I extract(make captures) images from this (jpeg, tiff, etc) with
> mplayer , anh how ??

Yes.

mplayer movie.avi -ss <start position> -frames <number of frames to
capture> -vo <jpeg, png, pgm>

Because -ss is imprecise, and in some cases inaccurate, you will need to
be careful about what you set it to; you will also almost certainly get
many more images than you need. The files will be deposited in the
directory from which you run MPlayer, IIRC.

If all you need is a single image of a single frame, then I'd recommend
the use of a separate program to grab it; I have, in the past, used
scrot for that purpose. This will not work with some VO methods,
however.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.