[MPlayer-users] Split and merge with mencoder.... how ?

Taylor Smith tsmith at tsmithphotos.com
Fri Aug 13 06:06:55 CEST 2004

Hey,

I think I can help with this. For splitting, it's simple, you can:

mencoder orig.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -endpos XXXX -o movie.part1.avi
                 (copy audio and vid) (end at XXXX)

(Where XXXX can be a time, like 1:00:00 for an hour, or a size like 700mb, but if it's a size it won't be exact because splitting can only happen at certain intervals in the movie.)

for part two:

mencoder orig.avi -oac copy -ovc copy [-ss OR -sb] -o movie.part2.avi

(-ss means to seek for a time before starting output, like -ss 1:00.00 will start the new file at one hour into the old file. -sb works similarly, but for file sized, so -sb 700mb would start __near__ 700mb into the file.)

I'm not sure on the merging and I don't want to give you garbage, but you might try "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o file3.avi -- file1.avi file2.avi" and see if that works, but it will ONLY work if the two files are of the exact same type (resolution, audio/video codecs, file format, etc...)

Hope I helped,
Taylor Smith