[MPlayer-users] Splitting AVI file with Mencoder

Mahtab Hossain mahtab_hossain2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 07:31:40 CEST 2004

Hello guys,

I tried to split an AVI file but with no luck. :(
I am new with Mencoder and the command was found in
the web but somehow didn't work for me. Any
suggestions??

$ mencoder original.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -ss 0
-endpos 4000 -o part1.avi (copies all frames from
beginning till frame 4000 to part1.avi)

*****In this case, the whole movie is copied to
part1.avi file (not upto 4000 frame only). Actually
whatever I put in -endpos doesn't matter. It copies
the whole thing.

$ mencoder original.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -ss 4000
-o part2.avi (copies all frames from 4000 to the end
to part2.avi)

*****This command doesn't work at all - saying "Aspect
Information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not
writing vprp header." It exits normally.

Mencoder version: 1.0pre4

Thanks in Advance
Mahtab

PS. the AVI file which I tried to split was made with
mencoder from a .vob file. (with lavc and mp3lame option)