[MPlayer-users] 4 mencoder question and 1 mplayer

jimbo yebster jyebster at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 25 15:06:12 CEST 2004

Hello

I have some difficulties to use mencoder.

1.
In DOCS it's written that mencoder can join two AVI if
they have
the same codecs etc..

I can't.

cat test.avi test2.ai | mencoder -nodix -oac copy -ovc
copy -o final.avi -

just gives me test.avi, why?  I tried to encode with
same -lavc both avi
but that do nothing; I also cut an avi in two part,
and tried to join again,
but nothing works.

2.
I want to use mencoder in order to prepare some avi to
use with iMovie (mac OSX).
What codecs should I use?
iMovie works well with this file:
kevin at zipslack:~/divx/mencoder$ file dscf2419.avi
dscf2419.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
240, 30.00 fps,
video: Motion JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono,
16000 Hz)
so I try to use same:
mencoder R1.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mjpeg -ofps 30 -vf
  scale=320:240 -o R1-mjpeg.avi

iMovie can't use it, why?
Also, file says:
R1-mjpeg.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
240, 30.00 fps,
video:, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 44100 Hz)
    ^^^^^^
Perhaps the problem is here? And then, how to
transform PCM stereo 44kHz
in PCM mono 16kHz?

Or if you know the good codecs options to use with
iMovie?

3.
I want to dump the audio from a scene in a mp3 file,
how?
mplayer -dumpaudio R1.avi
give me a "Core dumped ;)" and the file dump.stream is
nothing usefull (mpg123
can't read it)

4.
I want to change the audio from the scene; I do a:
mencoder R1.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -audiofile Ray.mp3
-o R1-Ray.avi
and mencoder just hang. top shows me 99% of CPU use
but nothing happens

5.
How to finely cut an AVI? I use -ss and -endpos but is
there any option to cut
by frame number?

Thank you