[MPlayer-users] 4 mencoder question and 1 mplayer

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Wed Aug 25 16:13:24 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:06:12AM -0400, jimbo yebster wrote:
> 2.
> I want to use mencoder in order to prepare some avi to
> use with iMovie (mac OSX).
> What codecs should I use?
> iMovie works well with this file:
> kevin at zipslack:~/divx/mencoder$ file dscf2419.avi
> dscf2419.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
> 240, 30.00 fps,
> video: Motion JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono,
> 16000 Hz)
> so I try to use same:
> mencoder R1.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mjpeg -ofps 30 -vf
>   scale=320:240 -o R1-mjpeg.avi
>
> iMovie can't use it, why?
> Also, file says:
> R1-mjpeg.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x
> 240, 30.00 fps,
> video:, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 44100 Hz)
>     ^^^^^^
> Perhaps the problem is here?

Try vcodec=mpeg4. mjpeg is quite rare AFAIK. And it seems iMovie can't
read it.

> And then, how to transform PCM stereo 44kHz in PCM mono 16kHz?

try -af resample=16000,channels=1

> 3.
> I want to dump the audio from a scene in a mp3 file,
> how?
> mplayer -dumpaudio R1.avi
> give me a "Core dumped ;)" and the file dump.stream is nothing usefull
> (mpg123 can't read it)

But it is correct. Notice the ;) at the end. And the file is named
stream.dump. But it can be of any format - it's the same format as in
.avi file, not necessary mp3.

> 4.
> 5.
> How to finely cut an AVI? I use -ss and -endpos but is
> there any option to cut
> by frame number?

Unfortunately no. You may try the attached patch, by Antoine
Duchâteau,it adds two new options, that control if we should start/end
exactly after keyframe, which is the only place seek can be exact
easily. It will modify your -ss and -endpos slightly (less than 10s) but
it will do so the same way on both parts, so the resulting avi's should
be correct. The patch is currently undergoing cosmetics and is quite
likely to be included in CVS soon.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl