[MPlayer-users] RE: cygwin mplayer -dumpstream = no audio?

Hans-Carl Oberdalhoff hco at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 14:25:06 CET 2004

Re,

>  I guess mplayer is telling me that it's AC3?

Yes, the line
 > AC3: 1.0 (mono)  48000 Hz  192.0 kbit/s
is telling you :)

> Is there a way I can re-encode the audio as I rip into something other
> than AC3 using mplayer?

You can try something like
mencoder -of mpeg -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2
This creates mpeg1 layer 2 audio
But this may also break the Windows Media Player :(  (Since it will have
an mpeg1 header and mpeg2 video)

> Could it be that there's something I have to do in Windows Media
> Player to enable this audio stream?
> Also, can you clarify what you mean by the DirectShow filter "ffdshow" ?

Windows Media Player (WMP) depends on codecs for playing (as all players
do ;) ). When using DirectShow they are called "filters" (since you can
chain them).
 From itself WMP can't decode Mpeg2-Video and Ac3. Your Dvd-Software may
have installed appropriate filters.
A freely available filter for ac3 audio (and much more) is ffdshow
(which is using the same codecs as mplayer :) )
find it here: http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php

bye, hco