[MPlayer-users] encode2mpeg 0.3.1 possible bug but encoding OK

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Dec 1 21:38:37 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:04:19PM -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> My command line was:
> Movie: XVID/AC3/PAL
> encode2mpeg 0.3.1
>
> encode2mpeg forgo1.avi -n n -mpegonly -o theforgo1 -svcd -encode 0:2:2
> -a 3 -mpeg >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
>
> BTW I never used -ac3 copy because it always ended with nothing being
> done. So i strip that parameter. I suppose that not inlcuding it makes
> encode2mpeg use mencoder to make an mp2 right?

Yes. Without "-ac3 copy" encode2mpeg assumes mp2 encoding with mp2enc.
You can see it in the log file:

INFO: [encode2mpeg] encoding to mp2 audio with mp2enc

If you want mp2 audio use toolame instead. It's faster.
If you want to keep ac3 add -ac3 copy (it will be faster than encoding the audio)

> also, it will be nice to know what parameters are automagically
> generated when you do -vcd/-svcd/-dvd

Read the log file. The 4th and 5th line.

> I did the dev/null stuff because there were hundres of
> buffer_underflow error being written to the screen. Its just plain
> ugly.

About how to speed up things in mpeg mode:
Apart from copying the audio intead of encoding it,
you can do one pass encode with -encode 0:2:1

Be aware that at the moment -encode uses the same options
for DivX Mode and Mpeg Mode.
I have seen that the libavcodec options "good" for mpeg4/DivX
are not necessarely the best for mpeg2.
For example may be 2 pass mode is not necessary for mpeg2.
As soon I have time for it I will do some encoding in order
to find a better set of mpeg2 parameters.

Giacomo