[MPlayer-users] playlist for a DVD

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Dec 2 00:59:34 CET 2004

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday, 01 December 2004 at 20:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>>To make playing movies in my mPlayer TV box easy, I am putting index.m3u
>>on each disk.  It basically looks like this:
>>
>>#EXTM3U
>>#EXTINF:6136,My Nifty Movie
>>myniftymovie.avi
>>
>>liric is set to run mplayer -playlist /mnt/auto/cdrom/index.m3u
>>
>>great.  Hmm, not so great.  What do I do for DVD's?
>>
>>My best guess was this:
>>
>>#EXTM3U
>>#EXTINF:6136,My Nifty Movie
>>./VIDEO_TS/
>>
>>But that didn't work, nor anything else I could think of.
>

> Try simply:
> # this plays dvd title 1
> dvd://1
>
> Tested and working, provided your dvd-device is set properly.
> I believe there's no way to play specific chapters right now,
> but I've seen a patch that fixed that somewhere in -dev-eng.

Yep.  Thanks.  That does do what I asked for.  I wish it was a bit more
'durable', like if I setup a juke box or copy a bunch of disks into a
honken HD.  For now it works, and maybe in 3 years when I get that 1
terabyte thumb drive mplayer will have a new option that will address
this better, and I can address is as I am moving data around at 1Gps.

With a stretch, I think I can even do DVD menus, or at least get to the
whole DVD using the remote:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:300,My Nifty Movie Intro
dvd://1
#EXTINF:6136,My Nifty Movie Main
dvd://2
#EXTINF:6136,My Nifty Movie Bloppers
dvd://3

I wonder if this will play nice in my friend's Freevo box?

Carl K