[MPlayer-users] encode2mpeg 0.3.1 possible bug but encoding OK

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Dec 2 10:34:37 CET 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:27:13 -0500
Erick Perez <eaperezh at gmail.com> wrote:

> why is so slow? or is this normal?

The filesize of the source doesn't matter much, the length is most
important, and you didn't list that.  Also, the biggest effect on speed
is what lavcopts are used, and I don't know what options encode2mpeg
selects.

If the video length is about 100 minutes, that's a reasonable speed,
although there are methods that can speed it up quite a bit.
Single-pass mode would cut the time in half, at the expense of quality,
or you could use "turbo" in the first-pass of 2-pass mode to speed
things up about 20% or so without quality loss.

If you want to see extremely slow encoding, try using mpeg2enc from
mjpeg-tools...  and it should now be about 1/3rd faster than it was a
few months ago, so you can tell how slow it was.

> > And what is the reason for this to happen?

Buffer underflow messages happen because the bitrate you are using
(video+audio) is significantly lower than what the SVCD spec requires.
I haven't yet come across a player that couldn't handle it though.