[MPlayer-users] mplayerplug-in problem with streaming

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 16:54:18 CET 2004

> Sounds like you just don't have the bandwidth for the stream, of course,
> that's just a wild guess based on the extremely limited info you've
> given.
>
> There's no all-purpose, problem-solving mplayer option.  You need
> to find out what the problem is, first.  If you don't supply a lot of
> information (as in URLs and verbose mplayer output) nobody here is going
> to be able to help you.

I agree that this sounds like a bandwidth issue. You might try setting
"cache-percent=100" in the mplayerplug-in.conf file. It will take longer to
start the media, but you will not get any stuttering, unless the media is
coming from a mms:// type url. Raising "cachesize" to some huge value like
8196 or 65535 will stop it as well, but you may find that the wait is too
long.

I could handle the buffer a little better if I had something like the -slave
mode command get_percent_pos. This command works great for the media types
that support it, but quicktime is a major format that does not.

I would recommend "get_byte_pos", and it would return the byte position that
mplayer was at in the current file. That way I could know if my buffer was
getting low, and I could pause the video and refill the buffer to a decent
level.

Kevin