[MPlayer-users] encode to dvd useing nicos patch produce null size mpeg file!

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Dec 12 00:53:39 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:34:47AM +0100, Heine Laursen wrote:
> >>How can the aspect be 1.33 when it's not 1.33?
> >>
> >>707 / 576 = 1.21
> >>720 / 570 = 1.26
> >>
> >>I'm confused :-(
> >

> >720x576 is the PAL DVD resolution for the movie
> >stored on the disk.
> >It will always be that. It doesn't matter if
> >the video is 16/9 or 4/3.
> >The mpeg stream contains a flag that tells the
> >player the aspect ratio of the movie.
>
> This might be true. I don't know.
> I do however know that my logic sence says that's stupid. because if you
>  streatch an image let's say to 16:9 then their heads,bodys (well the
> hole image) should be stretched to be more width than it actully is!
> But ofcurse It could be me who don't understand a danm thing of this :-)

it is you who doesn't understand a damn thing. or rather, you're
starting with a baseless assumption and reasoning from there. the
number of horizontal or vertical samples in the encoded image has
NOTHING to do with the size at which it is to be displayed. the size
to display it is determined solely by the aspect ratio. samples are
just that, samples, not pixels and certainly not square pixels.

rich