[MPlayer-users] encode to dvd useing nicos patch produce null size mpeg file!

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Dec 12 04:23:35 CET 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:34:47 +0100
Heine Laursen <maillist at gozar.dynu.com> wrote:

> > 720x576 is the PAL DVD resolution for the movie
> > stored on the disk.
> > It will always be that. It doesn't matter if
> > the video is 16/9 or 4/3.
> > The mpeg stream contains a flag that tells the
> > player the aspect ratio of the movie.
>
> This might be true. I don't know.

It is true.  It's not a matter for debate.  You are arguing with people
who know worlds more about video than you could imagine...

>  if you streatch an image let's say to 16:9 then their heads,bodys
>  (well the hole image) should be stretched to be more width than it
>  actully is! But ofcurse It could be me who don't understand a danm
>  thing of this:-)

When preparing a movie to be put onto a DVD, it's width is scaled-down
(for 16/9 video), so without any aspect information, their bodies
look tall and skinny. The 16/9 aspect info corrects this, scaling the
width out to proper dimentions.  With 4/3 video, it's just the opposite,
with the height scaled-down so they look short and fat, with the aspect
information correcting this.

> but that dont, mean you just can blow any movie up to 768x576 and
> expect it to look right.

You may have to add black borders to maintain the proper dimentions,
which is done by"expand" in the line you were given and did not
understand.

> This one http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/174200.php
> told me i could always divide to get the aspect radio.

That document is accurate, though you still seem to completely
misunderstand what it is telling you.