[MPlayer-users] Scaling and expanding when encoding tv

Barton Bosch bartonbosch at SoftHome.net
Sun Dec 12 01:21:31 CET 2004

Here's a noob question that I was surprised not to find a clear
answer to in the archives:

What is the best way to crop the bands and noise from the edges of
the frame when capturing NTSC tv from a tuner card and encoding it
to mpeg4?  I gather that it is best to keep the w and h dimensions
divisible by 16 and also in a 4:3 ratio.  Which is more important if
they are mutually exclusive?

This command removes the unwanted areas from all channels but it
results in a file with a 1.29:1 aspect ratio, with an x dimension
that is not a multiple of 16:

mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:chanlist=us-bcast:channel=10:normid=1:width=640:height=480:fps=25
-vf crop=618:480:12:0 -vo x11

What is the optimal way to capture and encode NTSC tv?  Change the x
and y dimensions in the crop filters parameters?  Add a scale or
expand command to the filter chain?  Does the order of filters in
the chain matter?

TIA,

Barton