[MPlayer-users] Scaling and expanding when encoding tv

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Dec 12 05:13:49 CET 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:21:31 -0800
Barton Bosch <bartonbosch at SoftHome.net> wrote:

> I gather that it is best to keep the w and h dimensions
> divisible by 16 and also in a 4:3 ratio.  Which is more important if
> they are mutually exclusive?

Multiples of 16 is much more important.  There's really no reason at
all to restrict yourself to a 4/3 aspect ratio.

> What is the optimal way to capture and encode NTSC tv?  Change the x
> and y dimensions in the crop filters parameters?  Add a scale or
> expand command to the filter chain?  Does the order of filters in
> the chain matter?

Scaling the video while encoding will use up more CPU time, which I
suspect you don't want to do.  Using expand to insert black borders will
waste a lot of video bits, so if size/bitrate matters at all, avoid it.
The order of filters definately matters, they are used in sequence.