[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] signal 11 with libmpeg2 and hardframedrop

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Dec 26 12:00:00 CET 2004

Hi,
> When I play-back a 1080p HDTV MPEG-2 video with libmpeg2 and
> -hardframedrop it crashes a few seconds in.  The problem goes away if I
> use -framedrop instead, or if I use -vfm ffmpeg instead.  This should
> not be a buggy file, as I converted it to an MPEG-2 file myself (from
> WMV) with MEncoder 1.0pre3-3.2.2

Well, with hardframedrop it becomes a buggy file because some frames are
skipped without decoding. I works with the libavcodec decoder because it
is much more error-resilient I guess (but also a lot slower)...
So don't use -hardframedrop, it is very evil ;-).
You can e.g. use -lavdopts lowres=<number 1-3> with -vfm ffmpeg, I don't
think the quality will be worse...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger