[MPlayer-users] Multiple audio streams when ripping dvds

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 2 22:10:26 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 06:50:59AM +0100, Alexander Noé wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 11:26:48PM +0100, Alexander Noé wrote:
> >

> >Yes, on both counts.
> >
> I actually only refered to the suggestion to use subtitles....because
> that one is a bit
> silly IMHO. Having subtitle running over the picture is looking ugly...

For widescreen movies, put them at the bottom below the movie. And for
everything else, well, it's less ugly than having all the voices
ruined. I'm not suggesting burning the subtitles onto the picture
(that hurts encoding quality a lot), just using .srt files or such.

> How many players can actually play subtitles, but cannot handle multiple
> audio streams
> in an AVI file?

All of them can play subtitles, afaik. On windows you just need the
proper dshow filter installed.

> >In fact half the programs out there that play avi's won't correctly
> >play such a file anyway, so it's not recommended to make one.
>
> Multilanguage AVI files have been allowed for more than 10 years.

Was there a player other than WMP 10 years ago?

> The only pseudo-player under Windows which does not support it is
> Windows Mediaplayer...is it really THAT bad under other OSes? Even
> if it is, then you can still choose a player out of the other half...

AFAIK it's ok on the *nix players.

Rich