[MPlayer-users] lossless codecs make bigger files than raw DV ?!

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 4 19:04:41 CET 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:34:12PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:37:10PM +0100, Andrzej M. Ostruszka wrote:
>
> >>video -> lavc with vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=2000:vpass=1/2 -vop pp=lb
> >
> >At the very least, replace the outdated vhq with mbd=2 and use trell.
>
> This comes up often enough, and is sufficiently far from obvious to the
> uninitiated, that I wonder if it might not be worth having trell set as
> default? The only downside is that it takes longer to encode, and it
> would be possible to include a notrell option for those for whom this is
> a problem.
>
> Just a suggestion, probably a bad one...

Yeah, IMO it's a bad one. The default options have always been the
most "basic", canonical mpeg4 encoding, without special features or
optimizations. If you start trying to make the defaults optimal, you
run into lots of questions regarding which options are better than
others, and often the answer isn't easy. As long as the defaults don't
even try to be optimal, users have to do a little research to learn
what they should use, which is probably a good thing.

Rich