[MPlayer-users] lossless codecs make bigger files than raw DV ?!

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 21:36:39 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:34:12PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>> At the very least, replace the outdated vhq with mbd=2 and use
>>> trell.
>>
>> This comes up often enough, and is sufficiently far from obvious to
>> the uninitiated, that I wonder if it might not be worth having
>> trell set as default? The only downside is that it takes longer to
>> encode, and it would be possible to include a notrell option for
>> those for whom this is a problem.
>>
>> Just a suggestion, probably a bad one...
>
> Yeah, IMO it's a bad one. The default options have always been the
> most "basic", canonical mpeg4 encoding, without special features or
> optimizations. If you start trying to make the defaults optimal, you
> run into lots of questions regarding which options are better than
> others, and often the answer isn't easy. As long as the defaults
> don't even try to be optimal, users have to do a little research to
> learn what they should use, which is probably a good thing.

I don't suggest trying to make the defaults optimal, so much as ease the
load on developers (etc.) who have to keep making the same suggestions
over and over.

For most options, which ones are better than others is indeed highly
debatable, but I've never heard anything which suggests that trell has a
downside (or even an alternative against which to compete), aside from
the increased CPU requirements. When there is no doubt as to what is the
more optimal choice, as seems to me to be the case with trell, not
making that choice the default strikes me as slightly odd.

Your point, however, stands, and your opinion on the matter is rather
more prestigious and hence credible than mine.

--
       The Wanderer