[MPlayer-users] convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Nico nsabbi at tiscali.it
Mon Feb 9 08:56:53 CET 2004

Michael Reinelt wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have some questions regarding MEncoder:

> If I have a SVCD which is already PAL, I'm using this command:
> mencoder vcd://1 -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg -o 001.vdr

VDR files are interleaved PES: a non-standard stuff made of mpeg-ps
without Pack headers.
mencoder generates mpeg-ps files with headers, so not what you want.
I  think that VDR doesn't usually play those files, but maybe it evolved

> Q1: is the command correct? should I specify any additional option?
>
> Q2: Why are there always two tracks on the VCD, the first one being
> quite short, and sometimes leads to a hanging MEncoder? I have to use
> vcd://2 then. Can I always use vcd://2?
>
> If I process one of these NTSC SVCD's, I'm using this command: (all in
> one line)
> mencoder vcd://1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500 -vf scale=480:576 -of mpeg -ofps 25 -o
> 001.vdr
>
> The original video has 480x480 pixel, and 29,97 fps. I have to correct
> both of them (do I have to correct both of them?)
>
> Q3: is the command correct? should I specify any additional option?

:mbd=2 or at least :vhq and :aspect=4/3

> Q3b: what vbitrate would you suggest? Is 2500 far too low or far too
> high?

only  your preferences and some testing can help you