[MPlayer-users] convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Michael Reinelt reinelt at eunet.at
Mon Feb 9 11:14:07 CET 2004

> VDR files are interleaved PES: a non-standard stuff made of mpeg-ps
> without Pack headers.
> mencoder generates mpeg-ps files with headers, so not what you want.
> I  think that VDR doesn't usually play those files, but maybe it evolved

If you consider the raw format that is transmitted via DVB as
"non-standard", you may be right. As far as I know, VDR does not use a
special format, but writes the (filtered) streams directly into the file.

And yes, VDR playes this MEncoded files without any problems.

>> mencoder vcd://1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500 -vf scale=480:576 -of mpeg -ofps 25 -o
>> 001.vdr
>> Q3: is the command correct? should I specify any additional option?
> :mbd=2 or at least :vhq and :aspect=4/3

I couldn't find anything about this mbd=2 option, could you please give
me a documentation pointer?

as for the aspect, what happens if I get a (S)VCD in 16:9 format? (I
don't know if this is even possible..)

Thanks a lot, Michael

--
Michael Reinelt                                   Tel: +43 676 3079941
Geisslergasse 4                                   Fax: +43 316  692343
A-8045 Graz, Austria                          e-mail: reinelt at eunet.at