[MPlayer-users] Seek and subtitle issues with OGM files

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 9 17:02:48 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 04:01:32PM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Heya,
>
> > But there was some improvement in seeking with a patch of mine that is
> > in the pre4.  I would be interested whether it helps on your problem.
>
> It doesn't. I was curious myself when I applied your patch, so I tried
> that, but it still hangs. The only solution to that is to implement
> multiple seek operations until you've reached a key frame before the one
> that mplayer currently chokes on.

The correct way to seek is to binary search for the desired position,
and if the seek is relative, choose the next keyframe in the direction
of the seek (i.e. previous keyframe if seek is backwards, next if it's
forwards). I don't know if the timestamps in ogm are reliable enough
for binary search, though; mpeg has this idiocy where they can
jump/reset midstream.

Rich