[MPlayer-users] Re: [Dvdauthor-users] Video Artifacts Transcoding MythTV .nuv files to DVD

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 22:36:42 CET 2004

--- "Scott T. Smith" <scott at gelatinous.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 00:05, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Has anyone seen anything similiar to this?  Is it
> > possible that my computer is overheating and
> screws up
> > the calculations?  Could one of my computers have
> > a hardware problem that is manifesting itself this
> > way?  Is it my DVD burner?
>
> for a given video, is the problem always in the same
> place?  i.e. if for
> a given TV show, does it start at 27 minutes on the
> clock no matter what
> you do for the first 26 minutes?  if you stick the
> disc in and
> immediately fast forward to 26 minutes into the
> show, will it show up a
> minute later?

Yes,  its starts in the same place.  If I reburn the
.iso file, it starts in the same place.  If I
remove the .iso file and iso directory and start
at the dvdauthor step,  the problem starts in the same
place.

I re-transcoded the first program that showed this
problem.  I used a higher maximum bitrate, thinking
that was the problem.  The artifacts started a minute
or two later.

> does mplex complain about buffer underruns?  (are
> you sure it is using
> the correct vbr buffer size?)

I'm using tcmplex.  I just reran the tcmplex step and
captured the output in a file.  The ONLY mention of
buffer is:

Vbf buffer size : 229376 bytes

Here's the summary info for the video portion:

INFO:   Found 160828 picture headers, stream bit
offset 12008418328.
INFO:   Video stream information
INFO:     Stream length : 1501052291
INFO:     Total time (seconds) : 5366
INFO:     Sequence start : 10825
INFO:     Sequence end : 3
INFO:     No. Pictures : 160828
INFO:     No. Groups : 10825
INFO:     No. I Frames : 10825 avg. size 29742 bytes
INFO:     No. P Frames : 42918 avg. size 11073 bytes
INFO:     No. B Frames : 107085 avg. size 6573 bytes
INFO:     No. D Frames : 0 avg. size 0 bytes
INFO:     Horizontal size : 720
INFO:     Vertical size : 480
INFO:     Aspect ratio : 0.6735
INFO:     Picture rate : 29.970 frames/sec
INFO:     Bit rate : 375000 bytes/sec (3000000
bits/sec)
INFO:     Computed avg rate : 280000 bytes/sec
(2240000 bits/sec)
INFO:     Computed max rate : 423400 bytes/sec
(3387200 bits/sec)
INFO:     Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
INFO:     CSPF : 0
INFO:
INFO:   Scanning audio stream for access units
information
ThOe: layer=1 bit_rate=384 freq=48.000000 slots=144