[MPlayer-users] MPlayer crashes playing quicktime file.

Alex Markley superbob at cybermalex.com
Thu Feb 26 06:30:38 CET 2004

Hi. I've been using mplayer for a long time now, and really like its
simple, down-to-earth flexibility. Until now, I've never had a problem
with it that couldn't be fixed by upgrading codecs or mplayer itself.

Now, for some odd reason, if I try to watch the "Making of MYST 3"
quicktime file with mplayer, it crashes. This same file can be viewed
perfectly with xine, and, I would assume, official quicktime players.

The crash occurs within a second of beginning playback. Within that
second, the video starts to fade in, and the audio sounds fine.

I've upgraded to most recent CVS and codec tarballs, but the problem
didn't go away.

The details of my system, as well as mplayer version, backtrace of the
crash, and other random tidbits, may be found in a cleartext file
located on my webserver: http://temp.cybermalex.com/mplayer_crash

This "making of myst 3" video is certainly the trigger for the bug,
since I can view other sorenson 3 videos without problem. However, I
don't see how I can send the offending video, since it's very large, and
copyrighted.

Perhaps I can make the first few KBytes availible?

I'm open to suggestion on that bit.

Also, please CC my email address for emails regarding this topic, since
I'm not positive that my subscription request completely succeeded.

Thanks in advance
--Alex