[MPlayer-users] Problem preserving video quality using -ovc copy from DVD

Jeremy Brinkley jeremy-mplayer at batray.net
Sat Jan 3 05:23:27 CET 2004

I've got some DVD-Rs with video recorded from a DVD camcorder. What I'm
after is to get the audio and video streams from the DVD videos off, one
chapter per file. This turns out to work quite well in mencoder if I
re-encode the video. However, I want to just preserve the video and audio
streams as they are:

mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy -chapter 1-1 -o 1-1.avi

The resulting .avi, however, has distorted frames, and the timing of these
distortions seem to be similar to where mencoder has printed the message:

Skipping frame!

and

1 duplicate frame(s)!

It looks like there's a thread from the archives here:

http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-March/030742.html

and an unanswered message here:

http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-July/035496.html

that imply that this frame-skipping behavior is not quashable.

Is there something I've missed--an option, configuration or expectation
that can be adjusted? Thanks!

--
Nuclear Technician, First Class
Santa Cruz Preparatory School