[MPlayer-users] mplayerplug-in QT

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 6 07:31:56 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:36:48PM -0800, rcooley wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:52:32 +0100
> Tony Earnshaw <tonye at billy.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > I was simply curious, since some BSD people seem to have problems
> > with BSD ports - like srpms on Linux, which I try to avoid like the
> > pest.
>
> They have problems with the mplayer port, simply because in *BSD, you
> install everything from ports (or pkg-src for NetBSD).  You might as
> well try to say that some Linux people seem to have problems with
> compiling from source.
>
> One good reason everyone uses ports, is that many projects are
> linux-centric,

Would you care to give examples?? Maybe this is the case for a few
programs with stupid authors, or which have a good reason for being
linux-centric (for instance a v4l-based tv app), but in general it's
not the case at all.

> and don't work under BSD without numerous patches (the
> ports system applies those patches).  Compiling from unmodified
> MPlayer sources is not really feasable.

This is nonsense. MPlayer should compile fine out-of-the-box. If not,
send a proper bugreport.

Rich