[MPlayer-users] Encoding Issues (cont)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Jan 24 00:18:12 CET 2004

avery lewis wrote:
> Hello again fellows.  Spot on advice about the teleclined bit, thanks
> very much for that.  The encodes look beautiful now! Except for one
> little thing.  What looks to my (amatuer) eyes as a brief touch of
> interlacing (though I've been set right on the fact that animation is
> not typically interlaced).  I've posted a tiny vid clip up as requested
> if someone could have a look, It'd be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks for the help up to this point, never thought I'd have most of my
> problems solved in one post.  :)  You guys rock.
>
> The link is:
> http://63.164.33.63/anom.avi
>
> -Avery

You're trying to encode a DVD, right? It's difficult to tell what's
going on by looking at the file you've encoded. My guess is that your
DVD is a mixture of "soft-telecine" and "hard-telecine". "Soft-telecine"
was originally progressive, and is stored on the DVD as progressive.
"Hard-telecine" was originally progressive, but was telecined before
being stored on the DVD.

Try using an mencoder line like this:
$ mencoder dvd://1 -ofps 23.976 -vf softpulldown,ivtc=1,crop=......

If that doesn't work, then here's a good way to provide us a clip of the
original video:
1. Use `mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream' to decrypt the DVD title to your
   hard disk. You can hit CTRL-C once mplayer has dumped the part you
   want.

2. `dd if=stream.dump bs=1M skip=50 | mplayer -' is an easy way to find
   where you want to cut. Change the skip= until you get to the
   beginning of where you want to cut. Then do the same until you find
   the end. Subtract your two skip= values, and this will be your count=
   value.

3. Now, `dd if=stream.dump bs=1M skip=50 count=4 of=stream.cut'

-Corey