[MPlayer-users] cvs again

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 18:04:47 CEST 2004

antoine wrote:

> Arrggh!
> There was obviously a heinous nasty in the latest stable release that
> made streaming media choke in a few different ways. The cvs fixed
> it, or did until I uninstalled it, installed the stable (to make sure
> that it wasn't a gentoo build error as opposed to an mplayer error),
> and then reinstalled the cvs - first the same cvs, then the absolute
> latest (30 mins ago). F^\{!!!
>
> http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/highspeed/2004/06/av/20040614ngpfloridachimp.asx
>
> can't be played now, not from a browser, not from the command line. I
> get a message about wrong chunk sizes but it was working THIS
> morning, ostensibly with the same version!

> I would love to know what is going on here!

Well, on my end, the apparent reason for the failure is that the file
pointed to doesn't actually exist. Specifically: the ASX file you are
trying to play is in fact a plaintext playlist. If you don't use the
-playlist option to tell MPlayer that, it will try to play the text file
itself. If you do specify -playlist, or if you download the text file
and extract the MMS URL inside by hand, you will get a different error;
apparently either the file at that URL does not exist, or there are
other and more obscure problems with handling said URL.

Why this worked previously I'm not sure, unless it's that the file
existed then but has since disappeared from that location.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.