[MPlayer-users] 2 audio streams [-af export??]

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Tue Jul 6 16:08:10 CEST 2004

> Only, mplayer does not seem to be able to play it.  my guess is this is some
> kind of fifo??

The man pages says memory mapped file.

I don't see any mention ofany  synchronisation mechanism though, so playing
from it would probably not work very well... :/

> Then, when I play play audio etc it gets picked up the the background
> player, and that is then piped out to other sound card..  Does this sound to
> rediculous??

You could try experimenting with creating a fifo for use with -ao pcm, and read
from that. MPlayer will block until someone starts reading from it, afaik. Check
man page for how to specify file to dump to, and whether you want wav headers
or not... mkfifo for makinf a fifo.

> Does anyone know how to use the export plugin correctly?  The docs tell you
> how to export, but I can't find anything about importing that data (into
> anything..)

You'd need to mmap it into some C program, then you'd basically have an ever
updating area in memory with audio data, but no way to tell when it has changed
or if you missed anything :) I think it's basically meant for visualisation apps, where
audiostream integrity isn't important.