[MPlayer-users] How to mute mplayer audio?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 6 19:29:54 CEST 2004

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:19:55 -0400
The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Try "-aop list=volume"
>
> Er.... can this be altered on the fly, while MPlayer is running?
> Because as I understood the question, he wanted to be able to
> mute/unmute MPlayer during playback (a-la the current "m"
> functionality), without affecting audio coming from other programs.

You understood the question, but misunderstood my answer.  "-aop
list=volume" causes MPlayer to do volume control in software, rather
than hardware.  I was not suggesting he supply a value to "-aop
list=volume,volume=", I was suggesting, after using "-aop list=volume"
on the command-line, muting audio will affect only mplayer, and not
touch the soundcard hardware mixer.

> is there any reason why you recommend the officially-deprecated volume
> plugin instead of its replacement, the volume filter?

Yes, because they do different things.  using "-af volume" will not give
you the software-mixer effect that "-aop list=volume" has.  Try it for
yourself.