[MPlayer-users] How to mute mplayer audio?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 19:54:33 CEST 2004

rcooley wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:19:55 -0400 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> Try "-aop list=volume"
>>
>> Er.... can this be altered on the fly, while MPlayer is running?
>> Because as I understood the question, he wanted to be able to
>> mute/unmute MPlayer during playback (a-la the current "m"
>> functionality), without affecting audio coming from other programs.
>
> You understood the question, but misunderstood my answer.  "-aop
> list=volume" causes MPlayer to do volume control in software, rather
> than hardware.  I was not suggesting he supply a value to "-aop
> list=volume,volume=", I was suggesting, after using "-aop
> list=volume" on the command-line, muting audio will affect only
> mplayer, and not touch the soundcard hardware mixer.

That's nice - and means that I *do* actually have a means of adjusting
volume, despite the problems I discussed here long ago. (A better
solution would be to actually get ALSA working, but I'm just being lazy
on that...)

>> is there any reason why you recommend the officially-deprecated
>> volume plugin instead of its replacement, the volume filter?
>
> Yes, because they do different things.  using "-af volume" will not
> give you the software-mixer effect that "-aop list=volume" has.  Try
> it for yourself.

...So, since the plugin and filter have different effects, and things
can be done with the plugin which cannot be done with the filter, it
would seem that having the plugins deprecated is not necessarily a good
thing. A touch unfortunate...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.