[MPlayer-users] [BUG] ODML & x86_64 problem - found solution

John Stebbins john at stebbins.name
Mon Jul 12 05:16:39 CEST 2004

Are there any developers watching that can take care of getting this
fixed in CVS?

The structure avistdindex_chunk needs to be declared
__attribute((packed)) in aviheader.h.  The 64 bit variable qwBaseOffset
near the end of the structure is being 8 byte aligned. The code assumes
that it can read 32 bytes directly into the structure to fill it in and
is thus initializing qwBaseOffset incorrectly.

My original report follows:
        Does anyone else use MPlayer compiled for x86_64?

        MPlayer, when compiled for x86_64 arch, seems to have a problem with ODML.

        I am using mencoder on another machine (not x86_64 arch) to create divx
        avi's. The avi's play fine on the machine they are generated on. I am
        using MPlayer CVS 20040630 on this machine.

        On the amd64 machine, I am running MPlayer CVS 20040702 compiled for the
        x86_64 arch. Avi's that have ODML are not playable on this machine.

        I tried generating avi's on the amd64 machine and played them back while
        they were being generated.  Playback works up till the point that the
        encoding is finished. When the encoding finishes and the header is
        updated, the file becomes unplayable.

        Is there anyone out there that can fix this?

        John