[MPlayer-users] MEncoder cat bug

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Tue Jul 13 21:00:14 CEST 2004

C. P. wrote:
> For example:
> cat vts_01_1.vob | mencoder - -nosound -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> bitrate=500 -o movie.avi
>
> movie.avi won't work under windows (although it works with VirtualDub it
> won't work with Windows Media Player, Bsplayer, ...), but works
> perfectly under Linux (mplayer, xine, totem, ...).

[...]
 >I think the problem is that when using cat with MPEG-2, some garbage
is >put in the header. I need using cat because I want to use something
 >like "cat *.vob | mencoder - ..." so, please, I'd like someone to tell
 >how to fix this or maybe how to encode several files using wildcards
(I >don't like to encode each vob file separetely and merge them after).

hi, this is not really an "answer" to your problem but more like a
workaround.
encoding all the vob's of a dvd look to me like encoding one of its
tracks so why not using:
mencoder dvd://1 -nosound -ovc ...
or whatever your track is.
And if you don't want to encode from the dvd but from a rip on your hard
drive:
mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream
mencoder stream.dump -nosound -ovc ...
may be that could do the job...