[MPlayer-users] MEncoder cat bug

C. P. soloparalapublicidad at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:43:00 CEST 2004

I've trying to find out why I couldn't see xvid videos (encoded by me using
mencoder) under windows, and I think I've found the problem, but don't know
how to fix it.

The next "bug" only applies to xvid codec. If you send the input through the
stdin the output is not correct. I mean, it works perfectly under Linux and
on some dvd/divx players (tested on Kiss DP-500), but it won't work under
windows players.

For example:
cat vts_01_1.vob | mencoder - -nosound -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=500 -o
movie.avi

movie.avi won't work under windows (although it works with VirtualDub it
won't work with Windows Media Player, Bsplayer, ...), but works perfectly
under Linux (mplayer, xine, totem, ...).

But if I try:
mencoder vts_01_1.vob -nosound -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=500 -o
movie.avi

movie.avi will work under windows perfectly.

Also, the source file must be a vob (or at least not an avi). If it is an
avi file it will work (cat file.avi | mencoder - ... will work!). This is
very strange. I've tested with several DVD's and none of them worked.

I think the problem is that when using cat with MPEG-2, some garbage is put
in the header. I need using cat because I want to use something like "cat
*.vob | mencoder - ..." so, please, I'd like someone to tell how to fix this
or maybe how to encode several files using wildcards (I don't like to encode
each vob file separetely and merge them after).

Btw, I'm using Mplayer 1.0pre4-3.3.2 (patched with XviD 1.0 export module by
Edouard Gomez) compiled in Mandrake 10.0 Official and XviD codec 1.0.1 (now
I'm using latest CVS, but doesn't work either). I've tested the files in
several computers running windows, and none of them couldn't play "cat'ed"
movies.

Thanks,
Rad.