[MPlayer-users] Upgrading MPlayer

Bennett Perkins bennett.perkins at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 15 19:26:30 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:06, Rick wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I know this is a basic question but I didn't find the answer in the
> documentation.  I have mplayer installed and working properly on my
> system but would like to know how to perform an upgrade.  I have the
> latest CVS file already downloaded but in order to upgrade to this
> new version do I have to uninstall all traces of the old player
> first.  This needs to be done for certain programs, Mozilla's web
> browser for one, or do I just 1. delete the contents of the mplayer
> directory 2. untar the CVS file and add it to the mplayer directory
> 3. then ./configure, make, make install.  Does this procedure
> sucessfully overwrite all of the associated files or is there some
> other way to do this.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Rick

I've always just installed new versions straight over the old one. That is, I
untar the new version, configure, make, make install, and never bother
uninstalling the old version. I just assume that the "old" files will be
overridden by the new ones.

I've never run into any problems with this. Of course, if anyone can think of
any reasons why I *shouldn't* be doing this, please let me know! :)

Bennett