[MPlayer-users] DVD with 24Bits/48khz audio playback problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jul 26 18:33:46 CEST 2004

Hi,
> Here is a bit of the output showing the audio isn't correctly detected :

you should still have provided the full output of mplayer -v...

> VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29,970 fps  4500,0 kbps (562,5 kbyte/s)
> Ouverture du décodeur audio: [dvdpcm] Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM audio decoder
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 192000->192000 (1536,0 kbit)
> Selected audio codec: [dvdpcm] afm:dvdpcm (Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM)
>
> So my first question would be quite simple - I need a way to tell mplayer that
> the audio is 24bits wide.

I have no idea how to detect this automatically, but the attached patch
should make it work (while breaking all other DVDs :-( ).
I'm not sure if the line
AF_FORMAT_LE | AF_FORMAT_SI;
is correct, you might have to use one of the three commented-out lines
below instead.

> Though - and this will be my second question. My hardware is NOT capable of 24
> bits audio playback - so I guess I then need to tell mplayer to convert the
> audio to 16 bits, and I can tell you - I am not very familiar with mplayer
> filtering options...

Conversion should be done automatically.

> PS : the DVD sound isn't playing correctly in any other linux DVD player,
> though it's playing fine under PowerDVD on windows platform.

no wonder. 24-bit is such a brain-damaged format nobody in his right
mind wants to implement it ;-)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger