[MPlayer-users] DVD with 24Bits/48khz audio playback problem

NiXO Beee nixobeee at hanginggarden.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 26 17:49:53 CEST 2004

Hi there.

I searched all over the place and didn't find any way to correct my problem.
Let me describe it briefly.

All my DVDs play fine on my linux boxes under mplayer except one - "Sonic
Youth - Corporate Ghost". The video is ok, but the sound is just a white
noise. I think it's because the format is misdetected (it is 24 bits/48khz,
wich is pretty legit). Only the first audio track is concerned, since the
other tracks are regular AC3 (commentaries, mainly)

Here is a bit of the output showing the audio isn't correctly detected :

VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 2)  29,970 fps  4500,0 kbps (562,5 kbyte/s)
Ouverture du décodeur audio: [dvdpcm] Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 192000->192000 (1536,0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [dvdpcm] afm:dvdpcm (Uncompressed DVD/VOB LPCM)

So my first question would be quite simple - I need a way to tell mplayer that
the audio is 24bits wide.

Though - and this will be my second question. My hardware is NOT capable of 24
bits audio playback - so I guess I then need to tell mplayer to convert the
audio to 16 bits, and I can tell you - I am not very familiar with mplayer
filtering options...

The mplayer version I'm using is latest CVS version.

PS : the DVD sound isn't playing correctly in any other linux DVD player,
though it's playing fine under PowerDVD on windows platform.

Thanx in advance for making me enjoy even more that great piece of free
software.

NiXO Beee.