[MPlayer-users] expand (and subtitles, again?)

Jean-Olivier Irisson jo.irisson at noos.fr
Tue Jul 27 17:40:15 CEST 2004

Rudo Thomas wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I was just wondering whether it is possible to expand a movie (using vf expand,
> that is) to fit the monitor. In other words, to let the height calculate itself
> automagically so that the resulting dimensions have the same ratio as the
> monitor.
>
> I have found the same problem in the archive:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-January/028858.html
> And a hack to that solves it:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2002-November/012717.html
>
> However, the queston is: Is there a standard way to achieve this?

is this needed for a given monitor definition or do you want it to work
on any monitor?
if it's for your own monitor only, at a given definition, let say
1024x768 a combination of vf scale and expand could work:
	-vf scale 1024:-2:0:0:20,expand=0:768:0:384
-vf scale scales the movie to the width of the screen, keeping the
orginal aspect ratio (-2 for the height)
then vf expand expands the height with black bands to fit the height of
the screen and places the movie on the middle (position to 384 = 768/2).
and you can put your subtitles in the bottom black band.
nevertheless, because of the windows bars and borders your window will
not fit on the screen, it will be too big. It will only fit when
switching to full screen).
furthermore, if you only need a little black space to put your subtitles
underneath the picture this is enough:
	-vf scale=1024:-2:0:0:20,expand=0:-140:0:70
and then full screen.

was it what you looked for?
--
JiHO