[MPlayer-users] Re: expand (and subtitles, again?)

Rudo Thomas rudo at matfyz.cz
Tue Jul 27 18:33:02 CEST 2004

> > I was just wondering whether it is possible to expand a movie (using vf
> > expand, that is) to fit the monitor. In other words, to let the height
> > calculate itself automagically so that the resulting dimensions have the
> > same ratio as the monitor.
>
> [...]
>
> if it's for your own monitor only, at a given definition, let say
> 1024x768 a combination of vf scale and expand could work:
>         -vf scale 1024:-2:0:0:20,expand=0:768:0:384
> -vf scale scales the movie to the width of the screen, keeping the
> orginal aspect ratio (-2 for the height)
> then vf expand expands the height with black bands to fit the height of
> the screen and places the movie on the middle (position to 384 = 768/2).
> and you can put your subtitles in the bottom black band.

Actually, this will not place it in the middle, it will place its upper border
in the middle. 0 should be used instead of 384. Nevermind, the problem is
elsewhere...

> nevertheless, because of the windows bars and borders your window will
> not fit on the screen, it will be too big. It will only fit when
> switching to full screen).
> furthermore, if you only need a little black space to put your subtitles
> underneath the picture this is enough:
>         -vf scale=1024:-2:0:0:20,expand=0:-140:0:70
> and then full screen.
>
> was it what you looked for?

Yes and no.

Your solution does the right thing, but uses software scaling, which is
something I would like to prevent.

Obviously, I would welcome something like the -2, but as an argument to expand.
Should I cook up a patch for this, or is something similar flying around (or in
CVS, for example)?

Please, CC me on replies. Thanks.

Rudo.