[MPlayer-users] "uncrop" for VCD

JiHO jo.irisson at noos.fr
Wed Jul 28 14:27:49 CEST 2004

H du Plooy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into the following problem.  I have a couple of 16:9 format  AVIs that I
> want to make VCDs of.  I found the relevant parameters for this on this list.
> I get a mpeg output file in 4:3 format, but the people in the movies have
> egg-head syndrom...   If I remove the bit that scales it to 4:3 (can't
> remember the specifics, it's at home), and leave it to 16:9, the DVD player
> won't play it.
>
> So my question, is there a way to add the black bands at the bottom and top?
> I'd rather have the black bands in a 4:3 format mpeg file than loose some of
> the content.

-vf expand. you have to calculate how much black you should add to your
movie to make it 4:3. we discussed something related to this matter on
this list. find the thread :
[MPlayer-users] expand (and subtitles, again?)

this was about an automated procedure to produce black bands on top and
bottom of the movie to make it fit the screen's aspect ratio (which is
in fact 4:3, so that could do the trick for you).

the only problem I see is that I don't know if -vf expand works with
mencoder. nothing against this in the manual so it should be ok.
--
JiHO
---