[MPlayer-users] Okay, I am lost here....

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 05:54:31 CEST 2004

rcooley wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:36:50 -0500
>Andrew Konosky <TerranAce007 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>When I use this encoder the video quality isn't very good.
>>

>You could always increase the video bitrate.
>

>>There are pops in the sound
>>

>Hmm, audio has to be resampled to 44100 for VCD/SVCD, so you could be
>experiencing the "srate" problem some people have reported with
>MPlayer/Mencoder.  There should be information and patches in the
>mailing-list archive.
>

>>and the video 'jumps' a looks choppy when it is played....
>>

>That probably means you have either 23.976 or 29.97 FPS video.  That
>script is hard-coded for 25 FPS.  Just open the divx2svcd file in any
>text editor, search for "ofps" and change the "25" after it to either
>"23.976023976" or "29.97002997".
>
>If that doesn't work, you may have hard-telecined, or interlaced
>material, and will need to add something like "ivtc,pp=lb," after "-vf"
>in that script.

Well, I think the reason why it was poor quality earlier was because I
was doing other things during the encoding and must have overloaded my
system. I restarted and tried again with no other programs taking up
resources and I was able to almost successfully encode one of the divx
files I have. I started off at first re-encoding the entire DVD, but I
didn't want to wait 4 hours to see if it worked. I encoded the first
divx file and ended up with a 750mb mpeg file, so I will have to reduce
the bitrate a little. I think I used 1300, so I will try 1000 or something.

The main problem is the audio/video interleave. The sound was about 1/2
second delayed, and it was kind of like watching an old Godzilla movie
redone in English. The mouths were moving but the words were not the
same. I tried encoding some other avi files and got the same thing, and
then I encoded a portion directly from the DVD and the interleave was
off from there as well. How do I fix this? It must be a setting I am
missing/messing up since it is happening on every file I encode...