[MPlayer-users] Doubling frame rate

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jun 3 03:09:57 CEST 2004

Gidday,

I have a 30fps movie here that I would like to resample to 60fps, while
keeping the motion real-time.  This will require twice as many frames as
the original.

I realise that I only have a limited number of frames to work with (half
as many as I need), but I also know that MPEG has motion detection built
in.  But that's about all I know.

Is it possible to use mplayers motion estimation to generate
intermediate frames for this kind of business, or am I being terribly naive?

I tried:
mencoder test30fps.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=4000 -oac copy -ofps 60 -o test60fps.avi

but of course every second frame was reported as a duplicate frame.

I know that algorithms exist to generate intermediate frames (hell, my
100Hz telly at home does it in realtime), but are they similar to what
MPEG does?

Any ideas?

thanks,
Greg