[MPlayer-users] How to fit a DVD on a DVD-R

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Fri Jun 4 16:46:05 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 10:29, zelos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to make a backup of my DVD movie on a DVD-R? I mean how
> to make a DVD-R which could be read by a DVD player with only selected
> language and complete video?
> On windows, I used a software to only select movie without any bonus and
> selected language and another one to recompress the video in case that
> one could not fit on a DVD-R. The result was in a DVD movie format...
>
> I heard mencoder could do this but I have no idea about it...

I've been working on this myself, and you can use mplayer for part of
the process if you like.  You can also use transcode and it's other
related utilities.  There is a perl script here that uses transcode
utilities, dvdauthor, mkisofs, and growisofs to grab the main title from
the disc, requantize the video to fit on a dvd-r, authors the new dvd
and burns it for you.  You could perhaps gain some insight from looking
at its innards if you want to know more about the nuts and bolts.

http://lakedaemon.netmindz.net/dvd9to5/

Aaron