[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jun 4 18:36:36 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:09:26PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>> *looks puzzled* Which gamma correction?
> DRFI>>
> DRFI>> I mean that my monitor's brightness is tweaked to the right level, and
> DRFI>
> DRFI>No, it's tweaked to the wrong level. That's the problem. Intensity
> DRFI>in movies is NOT linear; it's designed for the nonlinearity in
> DRFI>CRTs. BTW this is a GOOD thing, since you need more precision at
> DRFI>lower intensities or you'll see ugly bands/blocks.
>
> If the 2.5 gamma isn't right, then what should I tweak to? To stupid
> sRGB? No thanks.

Remove all gamma correction. Even if there are no blocks, it will make
the picture look horribly washed out.

> DRFI>> gamma is set to 1.01, 1.05 & 1.04 for rgb to get the correct 2.5 gamma.
> DRFI>> I use no gamma correction in mplayer, but I use -vf x11 to pick those
> DRFI>> values up.
> DRFI>I hope you don't normally use -vf x11, since it will tear!!
>
> I do ;) I don't mind tearing, really.

OK, if you don't care about tearing you can't whine about blocks.
You're not a videophile.

> DRFI>I've seen bad blocking artifacts on DVDs, but noise is much more
> DRFI>common. The noise actually serves to mask out the blocking artifacts,
> DRFI>same as if you use -vf noise, but it wastes a LOT of space. Better to
> DRFI>denoise and add noise back during playback if you really insist. But
> DRFI>seriously... With a GOOD monitor, CORRECT brightness/gamma settings,
> DRFI>and proper encoding flags, you don't need anny noise/postproc. There
> DRFI>just aren't any artifacts.
>
> IMHO a very small noise always makes the picture better.

That doesn't matter. It's idiotic to waste a gigabyte encoding noise
rather than just having the player re-add random noise at playback
time. I promise your eye can't tell the difference.

BTW can you fix your quoting? The "DRFI>" wastes lots of space and
looks bogus.

Rich