[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Tue Jun 22 20:06:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> If the 2.5 gamma isn't right, then what should I tweak to? To stupid
DRFI>> sRGB? No thanks.
DRFI>
DRFI>Remove all gamma correction. Even if there are no blocks, it will make
DRFI>the picture look horribly washed out.

You don't understand me. The only gamma correction I use is just for
compensating difference in my monitor's r/g/b gamma and for setting it
to the way it should be. Nothing is washed out, I can assure you ;)

DRFI>> I do ;) I don't mind tearing, really.
DRFI>
DRFI>OK, if you don't care about tearing you can't whine about blocks.
DRFI>You're not a videophile.

Lol. Actually, the main reason I started to use x11 is that I see
difference between hardware scaling and mplayer's bicubic scaler and I
prefer mplayer's scaler. The difference can only be visible when scaling
vcd-size video to full screen or such, but anyway. Btw, hardware scaler
also uses bicubic algorithm, but with different coefficient, and
mplayer's picture is a bit sharper. Then I understood how great
subtitles are with -vo x11 and how they suck with xv: the font is always
in high resolution, even for low-resolution clips, it's always right
size, no font squashing for svcd's or dvd's with external subs, and
after that I almost never use xv. And tearing.. no big deal. Besides,
it may be visible if monitor's refresh rate is low, but it's hardly
noticable on 100hz and almost unnoticeable on 120hz (or maybe because it
divides by 24 and 30 ;) ).

DRFI>> IMHO a very small noise always makes the picture better.
DRFI>
DRFI>That doesn't matter. It's idiotic to waste a gigabyte encoding
DRFI>noise rather than just having the player re-add random noise at
DRFI>playback time. I promise your eye can't tell the difference.

I meant noise filter at playback, of course. Just wanted to say it never
hurts, especially after hqdn3d at encoding or playback.

DRFI>BTW can you fix your quoting? The "DRFI>" wastes lots of space and
DRFI>looks bogus.

Hmm.. I guess not while I use pine, it doesn't allow to throw away
middle RF letters or to use different quoting types for different
letters. Of course, I can edit myself before sending, but.. Hey, it's
your fault that your name contains a lot of words in it ;)

--

Vladimir