[MPlayer-users] Mencoder claims seek failed on stdin, even though the format is a stream

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat Jun 5 18:38:59 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to encode a DV stream in realtime.

Mencoder constantly shows "seek failed" errors. But why should it need
seeking for a DV stream? I am telling it to demuse the DV stream as
such, using -demuxer 22 (without this it simply results in failure, and
I can even understand why).

The result is too slow encoding; the failed seeks seem to give the cpu
some more load, so I don't get realtime even though file encoding is
slightly faster than realtime. (This may not be the real reason;
nevertheless I'd like to handle the seek failures first, as they really
should not be there).

Here's my entire command line, run as root to avoid problems with device
permissions:

# dvgrab - | mencoder - -demuxer 22 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200 -oac pcm -o prilutski2.avi -vf
field,scale=768:576 -aspect 4:3

What should I do to fix this?

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik