[MPlayer-users] Encoding only a range of frames

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Jun 7 19:21:04 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 21:16 +0400, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> On reading the manpage, I only found -frames, described as "Play/convert
> only first <number> frames, then quit." But what if I dont want to start
> at the beginning?

Being able to specify an arbitrary start frame is _very_ high on my
wishlist for mplayer/mencoder, but it's non-trivial so I suppose that's
why nobody's done it yet.

As it stands right now, you can use -ss to specify a start time, and
what you'll get is the closest key frame past the given time.  When I
need precision, I'll use -ss X -frames Y, and then pull the AVI into
avidemux2 to trim off the unwanted frames.

Cheers,
Jason.