[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 8 06:25:57 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:56:02PM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Monday 07 June 2004 22:00, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > In 3-pass mode, the first pass only decodes the audio and encodes it into
> > > whatever you want.  It does not decode the video at all (else it would be
> > > a lot slower than it is).  It probably only looks at the size of the
> > > video and gives you a rough estimate of what bitrate you should use to
> > > get the desired size.  That estimate is not 100% correct, but mostly
> > > quite accurate.  If you
> >
> > No, this is nonsense. You do not need to know ANYTHING about the video
> > except the length in seconds to pick the bitrate. This is obvious to
> > anyone who's completed middle school math.
> So encoding a movie thats 100x100 pixels is going to take the same amount of
> space as a 720x576 if you use the same bitrate?   I think not.

OF-FUCKING-COURSE IT DOES!!! WHAT PART OF BITS PER SECOND DO YOU NOT
UNDERSTAND?!?! THERE IS NO UNIT OF "PIXELS" IN BITS PER SECOND!!

Sorry for yelling but I am tired of listening to people who are
completely clueless and incompetent denying basic mathematical fact.
If you don't understand it, that's fine, but don't make assertions
that are blatently false.

Now go sit in the corner.

Rich