[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 17:34:22 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 02:55, H du Plooy wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 02:24, Wayde Milas wrote:
> I agree.  Most of these setups (when plugged into the audio out - I have no
> experience with spdif/digital out) sound lacking something.  See my other
> post on sound cards.  The top of the range Creative speaker setup is
> certainly a lot better than most pc speaker setups, but it doesn't blow my
> hair back.  Neither does most of the surround sound setups that come with
> most DVD players.   Woofer + five satellite speakers is a waste of time,
> because none of them (what I've heard, at least) give a nicely balanced
> sound.

Most suround systems usually sound like crud both because they are never
tuned right, and because of the inherent problems with tiny speakers.

Most of the music soundstage still is created by the front L & R
speakers. You nneed big, beef main speakers able to produce a robust
stoundstange in all signal ranges. This will give you the most natural
feel, with the otehr speakers producing accent noise.

The little satallites just can't produce the correct L&R soundstange.
Thier signal response over the whole audible range is poor.

A subwoofer tries to compensate, but oftentimes the satalites can't
produce low enough signals down to the crossover. So you end up with an
audible gap in low midrange and high lowrange.

> > Take someone, put them infront of a good pair of speakers and amp (note,
> > good != expensive, althought hats often the case) and I gurantee 9 out
> > of 10 are going to pick a clean 44.1 khz 16 bit signal over a 96k vorbis
> > one.
> Do you have any recommendations for a not too expensive good sounding
> speakers?  I used to have a pair of KEF (dutch brand, I think) speakers, with
> a late 70's or early 80's era Sansui valve amp.  I got it for a bargain
> second hand - fell in love with the sound the moment I heard it.
> Unfortunately they were taken when I got broken in to.  I haven't found
> anything so sweet sounding that doesn't cost a fortune, to replace it.

KEF is a excellent brand. as are Klipsch, Martin Logan, ect.

Youa re looking for a few main things.
1) Box size. Seriously, the larger the speaker box, the more acurate its
going to produce a range of signals. Don't skimp on size on L & R
channels mains.
2) American as opposed to English sound. "English" (KEF's and B&W's for
instance) are neutral speakers that sound really good with classical.
Blues and jazz not so good. American speaks are a little "brighter" and
sound better with more upbeat type of material. This is mostly
subjective and some people like certain speaker coloring as opposed to
others.

Wht you really need to do is sit down and lsiten to a whole slew of
them. Make SURE you use the same amp when listening to all of them.

I personally love Klipsch's becaus I like teh way Klipsch's horns sound,
but thats a personal preference.

As far as amps, I'm mroe mainstream here. I don't go in for all the tube
amps and silly stuff. Tube amps just do wierd thigns to the signals by
using an analog type filter (the tube).

You want a good amp that has a high rms watt value. forget peak. Look
for an all aluminum housing with good knobs (im serious.. some of the
stuff out there is crap). Ask to look inside. Inside you should see a
TON of coper wire winding around the transformer, and many LARGE
capacitors to hold juice for peak demand.

There are alot of good amps out there. If you want specifics I could
suggest some.

Stay away from the cheap japanesse brands. If you take the tops off some
of the jap amps, you find transformers with very little coper winding,
small capacitors, ect.