[MPlayer-users] Re: RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Wed Jun 9 12:19:21 CEST 2004

Wayde Milas wrote:

> Take someone, put them infront of a good pair of speakers and amp (note,
> good != expensive, althought hats often the case) and I gurantee 9 out
> of 10 are going to pick a clean 44.1 khz 16 bit signal over a 96k vorbis
> one.

I guarantee you they will not be able to.  At least not in a doubleblind
test.  Of course at 96k some will be able to pick it out, but surely not
9 out of 10.

In the aforementioned c't test
(German: http://www.heise.de/ct/00/06/092/default.shtml)
they were comparing 128kbit mp3 and 256kbit mp3 agains cd on
in a hifi studio with B&W Nautilus 803, Marantz CD14 and Marantz PM14
plus a Sennheiser Orpheus and matching tube amplifier.
>From the 14 test-persons 8 were unable or barely able to hear
differences.  The winner of this test had really bad hearing after an
accident with explosives and because this makes him not fit the
psycho-acoustic model he was very good at picking out 128kbit mp3.

> The parallel to the video world is like trying to look for artifacts
> that mencoder produces on a 13 inch black and white tv. You just arent
> going to see them.

That's a very different thing.  The video world doesn't use
sophisticated psycho-acoustic models like in audio and is not
really comparable.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.